Lodge St Olaf Centenary Celebration Post Cards
In March 2019 Lodge St Olaf in will celebrate its 100th anniversary. Located in Cruden Bay on the far North East of Scotland, freemasonry was established in 1919 by soldiers who had returned from the First World War, and it has been an important focal point for the men of the village in every generation since then.
To commemorate this significant Anniversary we are delighted to offer these beautiful reproduction vintage postcards which depict the village around the time our lodge was formed.
Post Card 1
Cruden Bay Congregational Church, located in the very centre of the village and 100 years on the view down main street has changed very little.
Back then many of the properties on this street were shops, now there is only the one, the newsagent and general store which is the small single building you can see on the left, half way down Main Street.
In the early days the lodge meeting were held in the village hall on Serals Street which essentially runs parallel to main street 2 streets back.
The Lodge has had it’s own temple since the late 1960’s which is located on Serald lane just the one street back.
Post Card 2
In 1919 Cruden Bay Harbour was a thriving important fishing port with a significant number of small inshore boats fishing based there full time.
The harbour is still in use today, and although there are fewer commercial boats in use, the harbour has a large number of leisure craft moored there.
Post Card 3
Cruden Bay station opened on 2 August 1897 so would have been an important service when the lodge was opened in 1919 and may well have been the transport of choice by visiting brethren ubtil it was closed after being destroyed by fire on 23 April 1931.
From 1899 to 1932, a passenger tramway service from the station to the Cruden Bay Hotel was provided by the Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway.
Post Card 4
Cruden Bay Railway Hotel opened on the 1st June 1899, at that time Cruden Bay was a holiday destination with the landed gentry being drawn to the area to enjoy the lap of luxury afforded by this magnificent Railway Hotel.
The fresh sea air and renown as a spa resort also added to the appeal of the area and for many the Golf Course which had records dating back to 1791 had by 1919 become one of the most popular courses in Scotland, an accolade that has grown over the years and consistently features in the top 50 Golf Clubs in the world.
Post Card 5 Slains Castle dates back to 1597 since when it underwent many reconstructions. In 1895 the author Bram Stoker visited the area, staying at a cottage near Cruden Bay, it is commonly believed that he had been a guest at Slains Castle which has been cited as the inspiration for Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula. In 1913 the 20th Earl of Erroll sold New Slains ending more than 300 years of occupation by the family. By the time our lodge was formed in 1919 the castle had been purchased by Sir John Ellerman, the wealthy but secretive owner of the Ellerman Lines shipping company, who leased it out. In 1925 the roof was removed to avoid taxes, and the building has deteriorated since. It is now a roofless shell, with most of the outer and inner walls standing to full height.
Post Card 6
Slains Castle from the sea
Port Erroll Harbour located just a few hundred yards along the rough and rugged coastline from Slains Castle, this dramatic picture shows the castle in it’s heyday, occupied then by the Ellerman family who were the benefactor’s who helped develop the harbour to become the commercial success it was at the time of the consecration of Lodge St Olaf in 1919.
The small boat in the foreground collecting creels in the hope of catching lobsters and crabs.